Monday, December 21, 2009

Gall, Beetle Art, Cocoon



Yesterday was a fine day for hiking as long as I stayed out of the wind and in the afternoon sun. Otherwise, even with strenuous physical exercise, the cold crept into my bones. Once I realized this I kept to the sunny side of the pipeline. And since the pipelines are lined with pine trees, which blocked the north wind, I was plenty warm.

At one point I chose to take a shortcut between two pipelines. It was an obvious deer path - more like a highway - through piney woods. On this path I found a pine gall and a chunk of bark with the amazing pine beetle design. I leaned down to pick them up, and as I stood to head back out to the sun the dangling cocoon tapped me on the knee. Since it was last year's (empty, but still in good condition) I snapped the branch and took it along with me.

There's nothing more peaceful than sitting in a sunny, protected spot on a cold winter's day. Get your dog to sit close and find something interesting to draw, and you're truly living right.

1 comment:

Claire Beynon said...

Hello Helen

What a pleasure to come across your blog! Your exquisitely rendered, sensitive artworks and your musings about the natural world are an inspiration.

You and Henry D. Thoreau would enjoy a walk together...

Thank you. I look forward to visiting again - Claire.