Monday, November 8, 2010

Chufa (Umbrella Sedge)


Today's sunny afternoon was perfect for hiking to Meetinghouse Creek with Daisy. The wind, out of the NE, offered a pleasantly cool contrast to the warm late-day sun that soaked into my blue turtleneck sweater. Few flowers are still in bloom, but on the way downhill we passed a single bright yellow Dandelion that had a visitor - a brown Folded-wing Skipper sipping nectar. Small Asters bloomed here and there, and a single stem of Rabbit Tobacco glowed bright against the dark woods. Above our heads, bright orange maple leaves danced in the wind against the cornflower-blue sky.

Once at the creek I found a spot in the sun to draw this sedge, while Daisy settled in shade nearby to chew a stick. River Birch and Sycamore trees towered over us, their thinned canopies quivering in the wind. Crickets sang from trees and field, and were occasionally joined by crows calling from the distant woods. Carolina Locust leapt about in the tall grass; deer tracks going every which way dotted the ground.

On the way back a Question Mark butterfly fluttered down the trail towards us and landed on my arm. What a picture! Its vivid blue edging shimmered against my blue sweater. Daisy and I admired it for a few minutes until it flew. Daisy gave it a half-hearted chase, then turned to race me home... a race she always wins!


4 comments:

Cheri said...

My children and I are so enjoying your work! We also keep nature journals and in keeping one, and teaching my children to, I am hoping to revive once common practice.

Helen said...

Oh, how wonderful, Cheri! Thanks for telling me!

Elva Paulson said...

Beautiful sketch of an unbrella sedge. You have a real eye for plants and such a beautiful touch with your paintbrush.

nancysbaldwin said...

Oh... the leaves are so pretty and delicate, like ribbons. And I loved what you had to say.